Arc-suppression coils (ASCs or Petersen coils) are high-voltage electrical apparatus used in power plant and substation circuits. They are designed to prevent electric arcing when the circuit breakers are turned off, thus ensuring stability and longevity of the equipment.
Arc-suppression coils are divided into:
– combined arc-suppression coils.
Among the advantages of arc-suppression coils are the following:
- Small construction, suitable for limited space;
- Can be used in complete substations.
- Simplified configuration and connection diagram.
- Reduced installation costs;
- Saving the cost of using only one enclosure, one insulating fluid, one monitoring and protection device at a time.